Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Consequenses

My Dearest Love,

It has been two months now since you left. I wonder what sights you have seen. It seems both longer and impossible at the same time. I live in a life of memories superimposed upon the world of now. My brain seamlessly segues between the two leaving me feeling not quite tethered to the "real" world.

I am three days into my five-day treatment. I feel the disease now - a rarity for me. I can feel crowding in my neck from the swollen lymph nodes. Nothing is visible, but I do feel it. Aside from having arms full of poke marks, I really haven't suffered much so far from the treatment itself. It is there, but it is in stealth mode. There is a little fatigue and the hint of nausea before arriving at the clinic. I think the latter is just anticipation of the needle and the poison. It is nothing like what you had to endure.

For the first time in a long time, I have had to punish Kate. She apparently smuggled some vodka out to the family reunion and shared it with all of her teenage cousins. Enough was consumed so that the activity was obvious to some. Not being there myself, I knew nothing of the event until your sister, Pat, and your SIL, Pam, confronted Kate here at the house a week after the crime. They then made her tell me.

Rather than act immediately on the news, I chose to wait. I had the canoe trip to plan for and there is only so much I can do at any one time these days. I told Kate there would be consequences, but I wanted to think upon the matter for a time first.

After we returned from the canoe trip, I rendered judgement. Because she wants to be a supreme court judge this year in YIG, I tried to structure the discipline as I thought a lawyer might (where did I get that from?). What follows is the contract I presented her with and asked her to sign.


Violation #1:

Willful underage drinking outside the family home and circle.

Consequence #1:

Loss of 1 hour from curfew deadline for the month of August.



Violation #2:

Sourcing, transporting across state lines via aircraft, and supplying of liquor to other underage minors.

Consequence #2:

Grounding for two weekends (August 4, 5, 6, and August 18, 19, 20) from the hours of 6 PM Friday to 6 AM Monday – no car, no TV, no phone, no computer for personal or pleasure use. Official commitments and obligations are permitted. Participation in family entertainment is permitted. Parental dispensation is permitted.



Violation #3:

Obtaining liquor illegally with the intent to supply said liquor to other underage minors.

Consequence #3:

Loss of car privileges for 1 week (6 AM, Monday, August 21 to 6 AM, Saturday, August 26), plus, effective immediately as of this date and time, loss of car privileges until the name and phone number of the liquor supplier are submitted to me, her father.


These terms are non-negotiable and binding. Failure to adhere to, or willful violation of will result in appropriate further consequences.

These decisions may be appealed to a higher court - your Aunts.


We will see how it goes. I miss you.

Love,

D.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some day she will bless you for this, you know. Her dad is still here, despite everything, and still doing his dad job.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home