Monday, June 26, 2006

How I Miss You

You should have been there. So many came to remember you. Friends, family; people from the past; people from far away; they all came. We planted a tree for you finally. It's a maple from Barb's nursery. I put some of your ashes down around the rootball and then all of the family members took turns placing a shovel full of dirt around it as well using your "golden shovel" from the groundbreaking of the Pres Homes project.

The weather was iffy up until the last moment then suddenly the clouds parted and the sun shown down. You didn't have anything to do with that did you?

If so, then all of the details of the party and the lunch will be old hat for you. In fact, you probably saw and know more than me about all of that. I was too busy hugging people and leaking tears to do much else. After all of Joan I's work, I didn't have any of the food other than one of those little cakes she invented for you. All I can say about that was that it was heavenly, but you know that already don't you?

Did you hear the piper as he played Amazing Grace? It was towards the end when they wanted everyone to leave the tent so they could start tearing it down to make way for paying customers come opening time. You would have approved. He played Amazing Grace as he slowly marched down to your tree, pulling the people behind him.

That's another thing that you would like - the tree site I mean. It is pretty now, but when they get done with the rest of the landscaping, it will truly be a place of peace, meditation and beauty. By the end of the day, your tree was festooned with fifty or more red carnations placed there by pilgrims who had walked down from the restaurant to see your memorial bench.

Probably the proudest moment came when your daughter got up and spoke at the microphone for about five minutes. She told the crowd of three hundred and fifty about how you influenced her. It was powerful stuff and left many a juicy eye.

Joe also did us proud. He helped design a beautiful menu with Joan I. He did the font design and wrote a full page memoir of what your favorite foods were and what they meant to you. It is his influence that promoted your saying of "Chocolate is Important" throughout Saturday's festivities. In addition to his design efforts, he created a slideshow with music that is really a wonderful thing to behold. It was so captivating that it caused quite a bottleneck during all of the proceedings.

Saturday was a truly beautiful day, but I fear that my sister was correct when she cruelly said that "today is the best you are going to feel for a long time." If today is any indication, she was right.

I miss you so.

Goodnight.

D.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I followed your comment on my blog and found your political blog. Then I moved over to your Lightning blog and read from beginning to end. I naturally ended here and, although I won't bother with platitudes, I paid homage to your love for your wife and your children the only way I knew how. I called my husband and my children and told them, individually, how full my life is and how blessed I am to be loved by such strong, incredible, innocent and worldly creatures.

Your writing is captivating. I would love to link you, but I fear that would be imposing. Although my readers are a terrific bunch, I'm sure that at this point, you don't want a bunch of strangers traipsing around on your heart.

You have left an impression. Your wife must have been very proud of you.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are incredibly powerful. But I feel as if I'm trespassing, in a way.
Praying you find peace.

10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home