Saturday, June 10, 2006

Saturday, June 10, 2006

My Dearest Love,

The days seem like they are flying by. I'm not sure it is supposed to be that way. I always thought that I was supposed to be depressed and suspended in syrupy time, but that is not so - at least not now.

Part of what is keeping me busy is the planning for your memorial lunch. When we talked about it earlier and you said that you just wanted a gathering at the restaurant, I privately thought that you mis-judged the number of people who might show up, not to mention what Doug H would do with it once he got involved.

Where ever you are, I am sure that you are alternately spinning around or laughing as you watch the planning drama unfold. So far, we have a huge tent for the parking lot, a harpist, a classical quartet, a bag piper, and a Celtic band. There will be a private tree planting with just "family" at a site overlooking the lake. There will be a memorial bench with a brass marker. Doug wanted to know what to put on the marker and I think it should read:

"Chocolate is important"
CMM, 1954-2006

What do you think? Speaking of chocolate, Joan created a special chocolate cake in your memory which will be among the things served at the gathering. Doug wanted something that people could take away with them so we are printing up 3x5 cards with your picture and dates on the front and the cake recipe on the back. You will be remembered over and over again as folks pull out your recipe card from their recipe boxes to make the cake. I thought you would be particularly pleased to be stored there, it your friend's kitchens. Perhaps I'll write the recipe down here once I get it from Joan.

In other matters, we went to a graduation party in the old neighborhood on Thursday night. I had to leave in the middle of it to attend the dedication of the new Press Homes facility. It was very touching as all of the speakers paid tribute to you and the role you played in the creation of the facility. When Doug got up to speak, he became so emotional that he could not get a coherent word out and he had to sit back down again. We all got very teary and Lynn stayed busy passing out little tissues with lady bug illustrations on them.

When I got back to the graduation party, I found your daughter there with some boy she picked up. Of course, I never got introduced. I mean, why break a tradition now. She assured me that he was "just a friend, Dad," but I was not very comforted.

When Joe and I were driving home, he asked me the following out of the blue. "Dad, are you ready for me to get a girlfriend?" I almost drove off the road. After careful consideration, I responded that this was a decision for him to make, not me. I asked him if he was ready. He said that Andrew thought that he should get a girlfriend because Andrew had one now. I asked if he had anybody particular in mind and he said yes. He then proceeded to make me drive by her house on the way home. More on this as it develops.

One last thing and I will let you go (for now). Mari is working on a beautiful portrait of you. It is from a shot she took a couple of years ago as you sat on the terrace at the restaurant. You look wonderful. You are smiling confidently into the camera and simply exude competence, style, and power. It is the best "professional" image of you I have ever seen. Mari is giving it to us once the memorial is over. It will be sitting on the large table in front of the central fireplace just inside the patio doors at the restaurant. It will be the first thing people see as they come in for the lunch. There will be a guestbook and a basket for cards there as well.

Well, this is enough for now. I have to go back upstairs and tackle more paperwork. It's endless.

With all my love,

D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home