Sunday, February 24, 2008

This Band of Gold


My Dearest Love,

Do you remember that song, the one by Greg Brown where he sings of "This Band of Gold?" I have thought about it a lot recently. Today especially.

When I was down at the Mayo earlier in the week for my biopsies, they were very concerned about the wedding rings. They make everyone who goes into surgery take them off. I explained that I had not been able to get mine off in over fifteen years because my fingers had grown fat ans sassy. We tried. Their secret ingredient was Windex as a lubricant. Try as I might though, I couldn't get mine to go. They said that I would have to go down "as is" and that the surgical team would decide whether to cut if off or not.

That was a sobering thought. So, since I have been home, I have decided to make another assault on the "everest" of rings. So this morning, I got out the Windex and started squirting and twisting. It took me several minutes and some not so polite words, but I finally forced the ring over a very complaining knuckle. It will not go back on that finger again.

I have placed it with your two rings in the secret puzzle box I brought home for you from one of my business trips. There they will remain, together until someone sets them free. That will be after I am gone.

With all my love,

D.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cheesy said...

I'm sorry kiddo....

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home