Sunday, April 01, 2007

Turning of the Seasons

My Dearest Love,

As I write this, the geese are honking and sparing out in the pond, which is at a higher water level than in many of the last years due to a very wet, slow-moving low pressure system that has been parked over us for a week. This has kept the skies gray, the rain falling, and the temperatures cool. While I miss the sun, I am very happy to see the precipitation. We are still very short of moisture in the soil and we need as much rain as we can get.

The kids seem to be doing well. K has a boyfriend that she wants me to meet. This will be a first. So far, she has kept them all hidden from me, afraid, I am sure, that I will haul out the "dating application form" that so embarrassed her years ago. I promised that I would be on my best behavior, but when she brings her beaus home, her bedroom will be off limits. That discussion went on for some time and in the end, we agreed to disagree, but I held the veto card. She likes to argue with me and we have both enjoyed the discussions. We have learned to keep in on the level of a debate and not to get overly emotional. She is a passionate and intelligent advocate and I can easily see her pursuing a career in law which is her current plan.

J still has a way to go on the emotional front. He still wants things to happen "right now" and when they don't, or when I refuse to acquiesce to his latest electronic fetish, he pouts. Still, he is growing in body and mind. You would be shocked to hear his new "lower" voice and to see that his eyes have moved up by several inches.

I love looking at both of our children and searching their faces for signs of you. I confess that I don't easily see either of us there because they are two individuals to me. Others say the stamp is obvious, but to me, they are K and J. I love watching them none the less.

Today is the first time in over twenty years that I did not come back into the bedroom after making the morning coffee to find a card addressed to me leaning on my pillow. I ...... had to pause for a moment. Something got in my eye and I couldn't see straight. Just know that I am thinking of you on this, my birthday. You have been gone ten months today. I miss you.

D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home