Saturday, February 24, 2007

Stormy Weather

My Dearest Love,

I have set a table up in the corner of our bedroom where the two windows are. It's the old table that we moved from your work that we set the printer on downstairs. It was the right height for my needs - something to put the laptop on while allowing the wooden shutter blinds that cover the windows to still open. I sit at the table on one of those old, rickety wooden folding chairs that is so uncomfortable, that there is no danger of becoming an internet addict. It just hurts too much.

I look out one window on the small wetland behind the house - the place of the frog chorus. On my right is the other window that overlooks what passes for a side yard and the road. From here, I can see the mail truck as it makes its stops at our neighbor's boxes.

Today, we are enjoying the first real snow storm of the winter. Perhaps it will be our last as well. Who knows? But right now, it is grand. The predictions vary, but we may see as much as a foot before it is all done.

It is quiet in the house right now. Your daughter has been sleeping much of the day after celebrating her seventeenth birthday with a sleepover last night. It was quite a crowd, and as usual, they decided to make a big pot of mashed potatoes about 11:30 last night. As I made my last trip out to the kitchen, they were also attempting to make ice cream out of skim milk. I asked if they had a recipe and they said "no, we are just making it up as we go." They were happy as clams and I guess they got something they were pleased with. I went to bed.

Tonight, your son and I are off to his school for the class musical. He is working backstage on it and is very proud of the fact that he "has people" that he is in charge of organizing. It will be a crazy night, what with the snow and the fact that they booked a basketball tournament into the school at the same time. As you know, the parking lot is not large enough to handle one of these events much less two stacked atop one another. We will go early and I will bring a book.

I hope you have a double bed wherever you are. I expect to be joining you on the tour before long. Like salmon, we achieved our purpose with the creation of the next generation and now it is time for us to go off and do something else. Remember when we talked about joining the Peace Corps after we retired? Maybe it's like that, only a little less corporal.

Enough about that. There will be more to say, no doubt, but not now.

With love,

D.

1 Comments:

Blogger Watered garden said...

Looking for my friend's blog and stumbled on yours. Know it's cliched to say time heals wounds but it does. Hang in there till you reach the good missing, not just the painful missing... and the family reconciliation...

4:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home